Adapted from 40 Aprons
Whole30, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free
Recipe makes: 16-18 muffins
As some of you know, when I find a recipe I like, I decide to make it 3 times in a week. This wasn’t an exception. It was however, a pleasant surprise since I tend to gravitate toward chocolate desserts. I had lower expectations with a recipe including carrots for dessert. Let me tell you, I was wrong! The secret special ingredient here is crushed pineapple which gives these cupcakes an incredible moisture and sweet flavor in the base, topped with a phenomenal and easy frosting. I actually got carried away and made both the frosting below and a vegan frosting for fun with cashew and coconut. My mom made these the weekend I told her about them and also said they turned out great so please do yourself a favor and go make them right now. (This is equivalent to running to read Untamed immediately, if you haven't yet!)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 8- oz. can crushed pineapple in juice drained, about 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a muffin tin with 12 parchment paper liners (or silicone)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in sugar, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir together until well combined. Add in drained crushed pineapple, carrots, and dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Whisk well until well combined and smooth, then fold in chopped pecans.
- Spoon batter into lined cupcake tin, filling each completely full. Recipe makes approximately 16-18 cupcakes. Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes, then remove cupcakes from the tin and let fully cool on a wire rack.
- In the meantime, make your cream cheese frosting. Combine softened cream cheese, maple syrup, softened coconut oil, vanilla extract, and ground ginger in a medium bowl. Beat with a stand or handheld mixer until completely smooth. Set aside.
- When cupcakes are completely cool, frost with an offset spatula or butter knife. Garnish with a sprinkle of finely chopped pecans or shredded coconut!
- Soak the grated carrots in maple syrup in the fridge for an hour for added sweetness
- If you don’t have pecans, use walnuts instead. You can sub tapioca starch for arrowroot. Both are gluten free subs and cook similarly.
- For a snack with less sugar, keep some unfrosted and freeze for a later date!
- Get fancy with your frosting toppings like I did, just for fun!