Whole30, paleo & keto-approved, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan
I’ve deemed myself a smoothie connoisseur based on the frequency I make smoothies. Even when it’s cold outside, I find myself craving one post-run in the morning before coffee. I like to think I’ve found the perfect combination of ingredients and enjoy leaving some room open for people to ”choose their own adventure” based on their flavor palette. If you don't like almonds much, use coconut milk or water as a base. The important thing to remember (if you're trying to be healthy), is to do mostly greens, minimal fruit plus fat and protein. Dark berries have the most antioxidants, least amount of sugar and have the lowest glycemic index. If your smoothie has no protein or fat and tons of fruit, you'll be starving within an hour and feeling unsatisfied, leading to a sugar crash. I find this recipe works well for me and tides me over all the way to a late lunch. Would love to hear what your favorite smoothie recipes are!
Recipe makes: 2 servings
(but I normally consume all of it in one sitting)
- 1 cup nut milk
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder or 1 scoop unflavored collagen
- 1 tablespoon nut butter
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs and/or chia seeds
- 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
- Blend until smooth
- Top with your favorite crunchies!
- Do what works for you! You don’t need to buy all the fancy superfoods. I tend to just use what I have at home, it varies every time. I’m actually taking a break from almond butter because I found myself eating too much of it when I was bored just out of habit and also want to save $$ and found I was spending $15 a week on it, so I've been omitting that from the smoothies. Can anyone else relate?
- Buy frozen avocado! Just discovered this at the store and it means I can use less ice and prevent avocados from going bad (make sure there’s no additives)
- My current favorite crunchies = cacao nibs, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, pecans
- Remember, this has a lot of calories (I don't track my calories, but make sure you’re not over consuming food if you also plan on having a large meal with it or do both if you’re trying to gain muscle!)
- Use ½ nut milk + ½ water to save $$ (and the bees!)
- Make sure your protein powders are clean and don't have additives in them. Equip is my favorite brand for clean protein and unflavored collaged. You can get 15% off all their products here. Let me know what you think!